Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Suspense, romance, and reincarnation... what more could you want? The Eternal Ones had my undivided attention from the first page. Haven Moore thought she had trouble with her grandmother, but when the story starts, Haven's problems have only just begun.


Since childhood, Haven has seen visions of another life. In that life her name was Constance and she lived in New York. She also loved a young man named Ethan Evans. At seventeen, Haven sees an image of playboy Ian Morrow on television, and she knows that he was Ethan Evans in his last life. When Haven's grandmother convinces most of the town that Haven is possessed by a demon, Haven leaves for New York. She has always felt an inexplicable pull to the city. She knows it's streets as if she has lived there for her entire life, even though she has never left her small town of Snope City, Tennessee. From the moment of her arrival in New York, Haven is swept into danger and mystery. She may have found Ethan, but is he really who he says he is? Was he the one that murdered Constance Whitman? Is he planning to murder Haven again in this life? And what do mysterious Adam Rosier and the Ouroboros Society have to do with all of this? These are only a sampling of the mysteries that The Eternal Ones has to offer.

This book is completely engrossing from the very first page. Haven's journey, combined with a romance spanning thousands of years and more than one murder mystery, create a thrilling read. While the plot is very exciting, some of the characters seem to have multiple personality disorder. I won't mention names, but one character especially seems to flip-flop between a jealous murderer and a helpful acquaintance. Also, I didn't understand some of the characters' motivations or actions, and I found Ian's web of lies to be confusing. Isn't the truth supposed to set you free, especially with the one you love? Overall, I enjoyed this book, and I highly recommend it. The Eternal Ones has something for everyone, whether you love mystery, romance, or YA in general. For a little fun, here is the link to the "Ouroboros Society" website: The Ouroboros Society.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book yet but I read your first little paragraph to see if you liked it! I can't wait to dive into this book. When you see that I've posted a review on my site and haven't come back to comment on this again, post a link on my review so that I can remember. I love reading other people's opinions about novels once I'm through with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read such mixed reviews about this one that I wasn't sure I wanted to give it a go, but your review has changed my mind! I think it's worth a shot after all :) Brilliant thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to be reading this one soon. It's on the list! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete