Thursday, August 19, 2010

Another Faust by Daniel & Dina Nayeri



Another Faust begins with all the promise in the world. The synopsis and first chapter certainly seem to set the stage for an exciting novel. However, after waiting several months for this to come out in paperback, I believe that this book was not worth the wait.


The five children that are the focus of this book, Victoria, Christian, Belle, Bice, and Valentin, seem flat. Some of the children make decisions that are very out of character. You might say that these decisions were only the work of the Devil, in this case Madam Vileroy, but I believe the flaws went deeper than that. Overall, I feel like the authors tried too hard. The premise of this novel is very good, but some of the plot points seem forced and unrealistic even in their fictional world.

The reader meets the five children before they meet Madam Vileroy. All five have had difficulties in their lives and, excluding Bice, are unhappy. Throughout the novel, Vileroy plays off the children's fears and desires. She gets them to make bargains with her. She will give them whatever they want in exchange for something else. However, four of the children have already made the ultimate bargain... Eventually, some of the children begin to weave their way out of Madam Vileroy's web of deception, but they will not make it out without scars.

Even though I am disappointed with this book, it does have some interesting features. At the beginning of every chapter is a short peek into other lives that Madam Vileroy has corrupted. I found these to be intriguing as they brought greater depth to the story. Also, the perspective gives the reader insight into each of the character's thoughts, even some of the minor characters.

If I could go back, would I still read this book? The answer is yes. Even though this book isn't my favorite, it's a quick and at some points intriguing read.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I've been really hesitant with this one. I might check it out at the library, but I'm not quite sure if it's bookshelf-worthy. Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete